Thursday, December 3, 2009

11 Weeks 2 days.. and our first trip to the ER

So, we made it all the way to Tennessee and back! It was a really great trip, although the drive was a bit rough. Pumping in the car worked really well. That way the milk was still nice and warm and I would just hop into the back seat and feed him with the bottle. We did BFa few times when we stopped to eat as well, just for comfort. We left the City on Tuesday afternoon and only made it to the end of PA when it started raining and got soo dark that we decided to stop at our favorite chain restaurant, Ruby Tuesday's, and spend the night. We found a dog friendly Best Western and the only room with a king size bed also had a GIANT whirpool tub IN the room. It was pretty funny, it was bigger than a hot tob with tile stairs leading up to it.. We took the opportunity to take a family bath and give Smoosh some swimming lessons while watching TV!
We drove all day Wednesday, hit holiday traffic on 81 after the VA/TN border and took the back roads through Newport and Cosby. We were all totally over it by then, but when we finally pulled into the house it was so worth it. Both our parents, my SIL, and their dog (who flew from LA) were all there with a big home cooked meal for us and eagerly waiting to hold Smoosh. They had it worked out in order of who had seen him last: first SIL who had never met him, then my dad who was here for the birth, then mom, then FIL and MIL. I barely held the baby the entire time except to feed him, he was just passed around and paparazzi'd to death which he loved. He is such a good baby. :) It was so nice to be able to relax a little and hang out with DH and not have to constantly entertain or worry about Smooshie. It really made me wish we had some family nearby.
Sunday we had to head back.. hit more traffic. Spent the night in Maryland I think..
Sunday night I noticed a little bump on Smooshie's butt, kind of like a pimple. We got home late Monday and I googled it, called Mom, couldn't find any info. Tuesday AM I called the doctor. He called me back and I described the bump, which was now oozing a little. Well, he told me to go DIRECTLY to the ER and that Smoosh needed to be operated on immediately. We dropped everything and headed into the city to NYU hospital where we spent a good 5 hours in a room waiting.. When the pediatric surgeons finally came, they said it looks like an irritation that got a little infected. They gave us antibiotics and a follow up appointment for next week. Ugh, mixed feelings. SO happy that he didn't have to have surgery, so annoyed/confused that our doctor made this crazy phone diagnosis and had me terrified all day, still worried and hoping it clears up. I don't know who to trust or what to believe. Still, we survived our first ER visit as a family. Hopefully the first and last.

Mommy and Baby moccasins we got in Tennessee. :)

No comments: