Saturday, December 12, 2009

Happy Chanakah!

Yesterday was the first day of Chanukah so we had a Skype party with the ILs last night. Only MIL is Jewish, so Smooshie is only 1/4, but I still think it is cool for him to get to know the customs and prayers.

Growing up, I never really knew what it meant to be Jewish. I lived on an island and went to Montessori which was SO diverse - kids were black, white, Asian, mixed, Rastas, French, Indian.. Religion never really came up. When I moved to New York, I realized that ALL my friends were Jewish. My best friend's family became my second family and I learned to LOVE the ways of a Jewish family- a stark contrast to my Waspy/Hippy parents and their colder/cooler vibe. So now I am so happy to have my little 1/4 Jewish baby and have all this stuff in my family too!

Plus, MIL came up with the cutest traditions. The other day a huge box arrived from them, full of gifts and our candles and kosher food. I made matzo ball soup and yummy potato latkas with sour cream and applesauce for dinner :) I wish I had taken a photo! Then, over Skype, we lit the Menorah and sang the prayer ( which I am still yet to memorize) and opened presents. There was a huge box for Smooshie with a beautiful silver flying pig piggy bank and a bag of dollar coins. Every year, he will get 1 coin plus 1 for each year he is for 8 days to put in the bank. I haven't done the math, but it should be a good amount by his 13th birthday! He also got the softest stuffed cow (since he was born in the year of the cow) and an adorable organic outfit. The ILs live in LA in a really nice area, so they know to go to the cool celebrity organic stores - they know my taste! The dogs got some organic Chanukah cookies, and they also sent a $100 gift card to Barnes & Noble so we can all go pick out a book or two as another new tradition. My ILs really are great, aren't they?

Now for the bad news
#1 It is 20 degrees outside, how am I going to get my last minute errands done?
#2 DH had a show last night and appears to have over done it. He is still passed out on the sofa at 11AM. I told him that Prosecco my BF and I were drinking at the house was stronger than it seemed. Now he is going to be useless in helping me with said errands.

No comments: