Sunday, May 10, 2009

22 Weeks & What's In a Name

It is Mother's Day and I am 22 weeks exactly and feeling pretty great. The weather is getting nice, and I am so excited about our "Babymoon" - we leave on Wednesday.
I don't think I have even written about the baby's name on here. I guess I have been kind of superstitious and cagey throughout this pregnancy for some reason, just nervous I guess.
We decided quite awhile ago that our first baby would be named Mason, whether boy or girl. Mason is my grandmother's maiden name, my mother's middle name, and our family traces the name back to our first ancestor born in America in the 1700s. My grandmother just turned 101 a few months ago and we really wanted to honor her. Being a boy, his middle name will be Edward, also a family name on both sides. Mason Edward. We both love it.
We still haven't bought a single baby thing, very depressing as I LOVE shopping, but we are in a money squeeze right now. I get paid in commissions, and I bill quarterly so we sometimes have dry spells. DH is still in school so I am the breadwinner. He is getting a PHd though so I am happy to be earner for now - his time will come mwahahaha. The economy is such a wreck that everyone is paying late, so my last quarter was totally pathetic. Clients are paying late, so I get paid late, so no baby shopping yet. It is very sad but hopefully next quarter will make up for it.
We went to an open house around the corner yesterday. It is a new building we have had our eye on as we have watched it go up. It is a lovely 5 story brick (instead of another crappy glass modern thing) new construction with garage parking AND an elevator (gasp). There is also a shared roof with nice furniture and a huge children's play area with mats and a jungle gym! We looked at a few beautiful 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom units and it really would be amazing to have an extra bedroom, not to mention the parking and elevator situation. It isn't doable right now, but if we do stay in NYC it could be a possibility within the next year, if things go well. It is about 100K more than our apartment we have now, although we are not quite sure how much our apartment is worth since nothing is really selling at all.
Last night we went over to a friend's and hung out on their roof. I had a non alcoholic beer, then we went and had pizza on the way home (we had pasta with pesto for dinner which was delicious b/c I heard on MArtha that pesto worked for constipation, but I think I ate too much and ended up throwing everything up.) ANYWAY, today, we are off to a BAR-B-Q - yum!
Even though money is tight right now, we are so happy. We love each other so much, we love our life and we are so excited to meet Mason. I think we say this every year, but we have never been happier.

Oh and the bedding update: I lost the ebay auction which is FINE with me, the set ended up going for $310.00 and I have seen it online for $350 anyway so totally not worth the stress and drama to possibly save $40!

No comments: