Thursday, October 29, 2009

6 weeks (and 2 days)

I have successfully filled our days with activities and classes, and now... I am SICK. This is so upsetting, as I haven't been sick in years! I am able to accomplish this by basically never getting cold, never taking the subway, taking a car service if the weather is bad, never going out when the weather really sucks, not being around sick people. Basically, by working at home and having few other obligations. Not this has all changed. Plus DH takes the subway every day and is teaching this semester. College, but still. College kids have germs too I am sure and he is not bringing them home. So far, things aren't too bad. Just a sore throat and headache and Smoosh seems to be fine.

He is actually more than fine, he is a bundle of energy! He has actually begun STANDING just holding on to our hands. At 6 weeks. Now I am no child development expert, but this seems rather early to me. I will have to take a photo. He also LOVES "jumping" (aka bending his knees and pushing off and one of us lifting him into the air.. over and over and over again). We are going to have to go look for some kind of jumper thingy ASAP that his little self will fit into! It looks like we may be having to child proof the house sooner than we thought as all signs point to early crawling and walking. Yes, I may be bragging a little. DH is convinced we have a future something-or-other on our hands. However, I was a super strong baby and an early walker myself, and that proved NOT to be a precursor for future athletic prowess. In fact, I was picked last at P.E. every time. I TOTALLY suck at sports.

Anyway, cooking class was great although getting there was a bit of a disaster. It was only maybe 10 blocks away but it was POURING rain. I decided to take the stroller and not deal with car seat and parking. Well, I discovered that the Uppa Baby does not come with a rain cover for the bassinet. I was trying to use the rain cover for the seat and managed SOAK the stroller, flood the bassinet. We got splashed by a bus and drenched in muddy water. Poor Smoosh, it was everything I could do not to break down in tears. Actually, I think I did cry a little as I tried to push the rapidly water-logging stroller with one hand and hold down with piece of ill fitted plastic as it continued to blow off in the wind, and hold my umbrella with the other hand. It was very pathetic, but I made it there and back- and came home with an amazing Spaghetti Puttanesca! I actually skipped the play group afterwords and made the Spaghetti for lunch, I was starving and Smoosh needed to rest for Music Class.

For Music class, needless to say I took the car. Still a bit of a struggle to find parking (baby screaming at full volume of course) , find quarters for the meter, get him out of the car seat and into the place in the rain. I am learning and getting better though and music class was super fun. In fact, it is working already. Last night he was fussing and I didn't know what to do. Out of desperation, I started the "Hello Song" from class, and he broke into a big smile! AMAZING!

Today I have my follow up OB appointment. Not looking forward to the internal exam AT all. What I AM looking forward to is the Bonparte sample sale that I may or may not be able to convince DH to swing by afterwords.

Here we are on our way to Smooshie's first party last weekend. How cute are his little wool booties?

No comments: