Saturday, April 25, 2009

Spring? And my LOVE of self tanner.

I think yesterday might have been Spring here in NYC. It was a beautiful 70 degrees, not a cloud in the sky. Today shoots up to 85 - then 88 Sunday and Monday.. then back down to the 50s.... Hmm. It is definitely time to get the winter body out of hiding which is a little scary. I painted my toenails this morning and gave myself a little mini pedi with some yummy Burt's Bees Mama Bee Foot and Leg lotion which is nice and tingly.

Now on to self tanning. I have to explain that I love self tanner. I grew up a pale freckly redhead on a tropical island and not being able to have the glowing tan of my friends and family was the bane of my existence for my entire childhood. It really was brutal. When I was 13 or 14 we were summering in fire Island at a rental house and in the back of the cabinet was a bottle labeled "sunless tanner", which I had never really heard of (this was maybe 89' or 90'- it was not around like it is today). I put a little on my wrist and forgot about it. A day or so later, I looked at my wrist and there was a patch of golden tan! I couldn't believe it! I immediately took it back to me room and slathered myself. A day later, all my freckles were evened out by this wonderful warm tan! A love was born. I even got my first little boyfriend/ pen pal that summer I think - thanks to the tan I am sure!

So, yes, I love self tanner. I don't use it year round, only a little in the summer in NY but then very seriously when we go down home to the Caribbean. We are going to down in a few weeks, so I have been researching the toxicity of all my cosmetics on the cosmetics database. This has been a real eye opener and quite upsetting. I found that my precious Dr. Hauschka I have been paying dearly for gets ratings anywhere up to an 8 (very bad!) - my Rose Day cream gets a 7! I feel so cheated since I have been paying so much for that stuff thinking I am not putting any toxins in my body. :( Anyway, LUCKILY, before I spent $45 on a Decleor self tanner made with organic tanning agents, I have realized that my Oil of Olay Hint of Sun has the same score anyway so I will now tan away until I find something even lower.

By the way, tomorrow is 20 weeks. I will be back with more on that I am sure - I am so excited.

No comments: