Friday, July 24, 2009

Homemade Yogurt and Granola!



I am so excited. I LOVE yogurt, and I eat it for breakfast every morning with some fruit and my home made granola. Yesterday I went by this new kitchen shop and I saw this amazing Yogurt maker! My grandmother had one of these, some contraption from the 50s or 60s, when I was growing up and I think that's why I have this love of yogurt. She also had a very 60s sprout grower which I have fond memories of!

Anyway, I have never seen a yogurt maker until yesterday, so I just had to get it. I spend a fortune on delicious Ronneybrook (local farm) yogurt every week, and now I will be able to just buy their milk and make the yogurt myself! I am thinking this will pay for itself in a few months. :)

All you do it pour a quart of milk into a saucepan and heat it up, put in the thermometer until it is the right temperature, stir in a little starter yogurt (saved from the last batch) and pour it into the individual containers. Then you turn that on for about 10 hours. When it is done, chill the yogurt in the fridge. It keeps for about a week and a half.

The only problem was that I excitedly started my yogurt in the late afternoon, so DH had to wake up and put it in the fridge for me at 3 AM.. oops. I will time that out better from now on!

Here is my granola recipe:

Home Made granola

I large box of Quaker Oats
Pour in some vegetable oil
Mix in some honey, to taste
Add flax seeds, almonds, hemp seeds, anything really, and some vanilla extract
Heat over to 250
Pour granola into a shallow dish or however many you need and bake for 2 hours, stirring it around every 30 minutes.

Yum! I store mine in a big glass jar.


I am so excited, we are finally going baby shopping today. Going to head out to Long Island to Buy Buy Baby (avoiding the MAnhattan location) and get the carseat before our coupon expires!

No comments: