Sunday, August 9, 2009

Maternity Pic preview!



The photographer who shot our photos went on vacation the day after the shoot, so I have been patiently waiting.. This morning she sent a few previews, and the disc will be here by the end of next week. I was thinking maybe it would be a nice gift for mom and MIL when they come for the shower? Maybe a cute one of my and DH in the park... one where I am not topless of course. I don't know, giving someone of a photo of myself has always seemed a little weird to me... Anyway, they look great and I cannot wait to see the rest!

Friday night we had our birth class (finally!) and it was really great. We ended up going to the one night class taught at my OB practice in Soho. The instructor was so great, she was an L&D nurse at NYU for 10 years, has 2 kids, and knows the hospital and our doctors really well which was so helpful. At the other class, I felt like every other answer was"well, you will have to check with your hospital/OB about that". The class was only 5 couples, all sitting in sofas (not 12 couples on the floor!) and yummy snacks. We went over everything medical, stages of labor, when to call, when to go, we practiced massages, labor positions, talked ALL about epidurals and pitocin and pain coping ideas. I really felt like she gave an unbiased view of everything. She also had examples of everything they will have for us in the hospital like the mesh panties, pads that hold crushed ice in them (eek!) and told us to STOCK up on everything they put out for you! She said to seriously stuff your suitcase with pads, diapers, everything! She also gave us a GREAT hospital bag list, yay! DH and I were both really happy with the class.

Yesterday I had my mommy to be meet-up and two of the girls were there with their new babies. It was really interesting to hear their birth stories, as they both planned to go natural. One had a LONG painful labor and ended up getting the epidural. She was in super painful labor for 40 hours and was dying and throwing up just getting from 2 - 4 centimeters. She eventually got the drugs and her whole body relaxed, and dilated and the baby was out before she knew it. The other girl was 6 centimeters by the time she got to the hospital! She only labored for 6 hours, and said the pushing was the worst part. Now, looking at these two girls you would never guess who had what birth. DH is worried about my low tolerance for pain, but I don't think it matters. The girl with the long painful birth has tons of tattoos and piercings, and thought she had a really high tolerance for pain. The other girl is super tiny and kind of frail and was definitely more unsure of whether she would be able to go natural. So, I am just going to leave it open. I really hope I can do it. If not, that's OK too.

Last night we had dinner with DHs cousin and his wife who are in town, and she gave me some things for the baby from the Body Shop's new line, Buriti Baby. The little organic washcloth has the cutest birds, and the products smell amazing!!

No comments: